Friday, January 31, 2014

A Little Bit of Everything

Hello Sweets,

Saturday is coming up super fast :D, thankfully Nathan will be here tomorrow to take all my last minute stress away.  I've been making daily trips to my new place, bringing over any small items that I can manage.  I even picked up a step ladder today, that way I can reach everything in my apartment without hurting myself more.  I am super excited and cannot contain it anymore!!!  The only thing that would make it better is going to be here tomorrow, until then I will just keep doing busy work.

Even though most of my groceries are now at my new place, I was smart enough to leave the basics behind.  Of course that means, baking supplies!  I cannot have people helping me move without supplying some treats, but I can't just do what I've done before lol.  Y'all know me, I've just got to try something new :)  Tonight's treat is something really unique, and something that would be perfect in the fall during harvest season.  The main ingredient is something I love working with and have done a few different recipes, can you guess what the main ingredient is?  It's pumpkin!!  I love pumpkin so much, but as you may or may not recall I do not care for pumpkin pie >_<  But what if I turned to whole pumpkin pie upside down and inside out?  That is almost what this recipe is like, but at the same time it's not lol.  How about I let y'all judge it for yourself.

Pumpkin Pie Bars
Ingredients
1 1/3C flour
3/4C sugar, divided
1/2C brown sugar
3/4C butter, cold
1C quick cooking oats, uncooked
1/2C pecans, chopped
1 pkg brick cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 can (19oz) pumpkin
1Tbs pumpkin pie spice (I mix my own)
 

Directions:
 1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a 13"x9" pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over the sides; spray foil with cooking spray.  Mix flour, 1/4C sugar, and brown sugar in medium bowl until blended.
 

2)  Cut in butter with pasty blender or with 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
 

3)  Stir in oats and nuts.
 

4)  Reserve 1C oat mixture and set aside.  Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the  prepared pan.  Bake for 15 minutes
5)  Beat cream cheese, remaining sugar, eggs, pumpkin, and spices with mixer until blended.
 
 
6)  Pour over crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.

 

 

7)  Bake for 25 minutes, cool for 10 minutes.  Use foil handles to remove dessert from the pan.  Transfer to wire rack, all to cool completely before cutting.
  

Although the name says pie in it, the only real pie part about it is the pumpkin layer.  The top is like a steussel, but the bottom taste closer to a shortbread cookie.  My nephew even gobbled it down, so it's kid approved.  If you're getting sick of having traditional pumpkin pie year in and year out, try this out for a change.  It's definitely a crowd pleaser, not to mention it's easy on the pocket book.  I want to thank Philadelphia cream cheese for the amazing recipe.

Well I am down to the final box and I couldn't be more thankful.  The worst part about this whole moving thing, like I've been saying for the last few weeks, packing is the worst!  At least Nathan will be here tomorrow, eeekkkkk I can't wait.  All I have to do is get through the next 18 hours, *tick tock* *tick tock*Until next time...

Stay sweet,


Jennifer xoxoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment