Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Happy Birthday to My Little Blog!!

Hello Sweets,

** ~HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY CANUCKETTE'S CREATIONS!!!!~**
It's my birthday and I'll dance if I want to, sing if I want to!!!  But since it's my blogs birthday I won't steal the show lol :p  One year ago today this sweet little blog was born, and I can't believe that it's still going strong and getting stronger every day!  I love that it's helping both me and others, keeps my brain sharp and brings yummy goodness to all my lovely readers :)  Not to mention it has forced me out of my  box in regards to risks I take in the kitchen.  You can't learn  and expand your repertoire by playing safe right?

So I thought it would be fun to reminisce about what I've done it the past year, and where I hope to go in the next year :)  I'll be the first to admit that I've had my fair share of fails this year, the most memorable would have to be the "brick" I baked.  My first attempt at Whole Wheat Honey Loaf was a complete and utter disaster lol, the yeast didn't activate but I thought it had.  So of course after it came out of the oven it was flat and very dense, but I wasn't going to let that detour me!  I gave it a go again the next day and it turned out exactly as it was supposed to :D  Lesson learned, like the post is appropriately named "with baking there is no fail, only lessons to be turned".  Just because something doesn't turn out the way you intend doesn't mean you should give up, always remember that while in the kitchen ;)  Probably the most trouble I've had while on my journey is with activating yeast, it's such a temperamental product that you have to make sure all the aspects are perfect.  If at first you don't succeed, try again, and that is a kitchen motto!  Another lesson I'm taking from this year is never be afraid of a product that you haven't used before.  I had never baked with pumpkin puree before and most thought the cupcakes sounded weird, but boy do they taste good!  For right now let's get to the birthday treat I made for today's blog, and no it's not cake not even a dessert technically but I made it a little sweet ;)  Just like me lol :p

Indian Fry Bread
Ingredients
4C all-purpose flour
1Tbs baking powder
1tsp salt
2Tbs powdered milk
1 1/2C warm water
1C shortening
extra flour for your hands
 
(I used fresh milk instead, just swap the measurements and I used olive oil instead of shortening)

Directions:
1)  Put flour, baking powder, and salt (and powdered milk if you're using it) into a large bowl.  Mix thoroughly.
 

2)  Mix in warm water and milk to form dough.
 

3)  Cover hands in flour, knead dough by hand until it is soft but not sticky.  Cover with a cloth for 15 minutes.
 

4)  Shape dough into balls 2" across, then flatten by patting and stretching the dough.
 

5)  Melt shortening about an inch in a deep frying pan.  When hot put the dough in, frying one side until golden brown then flip and repeat.
 

 

4)  Serve either as a taco shell for Indian tacos or serve with warm honey.
 

 These are delicious served right away with the warm honey drizzled over top.  My only issue was that I think I needed to flatten and stretch them a little more next time, that way they will be more bubbly for a lack of a better word lol.  What I'm trying to say is that as it fries it will puff up more and create bubble pockets :)  I know that isn't a "typical" birthday type celebration treat, but it was something I never tried before and have been wanting to.  What better day then my little blogs birthday ;) 

So what is in store for Canuckette's Creations this year?  Well for one I'm taking the big leap into a mini business, nothing crazy just enough to occupy my time and to see others smile.  Of course I will be trying new, different, and unique dishes.  If any of y'all wanted to suggest something you'd like to see me try feel free to drop me a line and I will do my best to make it happen :) 
** ~HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY CANUCKETTE'S CREATIONS!!!!~**

A big thank you to my editor, publisher, and love of my life Nathan.  Without you and your loving encouragement this wouldn't even be happening!  I love you, always and forever I promise.  There isn't enough thanks in the world to express how much your support means to me :)  Until next time.....


Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment