Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sweet Fluffy Clouds

Hello Sweets,


I hope y'all are having a lovely weekend :)  I started today off with a migraine, not a good thing lol, which obviously threw my whole day out of whack again.  Luckily the person I was supposed to meet up with is very understanding so we will try again tomorrow, but I've got a good feeling about it :)  We've been trying to connect for literally a week now lol, it's so hilarious to us.  So I've just been lounging around thinking and doing my crossword, and now I feel much better :)  I spent a few hours with my sister and nephew yesterday and I enjoyed it very much, but my shoulders are sore today so it was mostly resting and only a little creating today ;)

I've got a lot on my mind right now so focus is a little hard for me, but baking and creating in the kitchen always grabs my attention.  Since I have an upcoming party to get ready for I am in full planning mode, half the planning was done based on reputation (Pumpkin cupcakes sell themselves).  My main focus is on the birthday boy's cupcakes, he is going to be 8 and is a HUGE Star Wars fan so that is the theme!  Specifically he is a fan of Darth Vader and Darth Maul, yes he is a fan of the dark side lol.  So I am looking at  a couple different options for the decorations, and if I want to create a little character or symbol that is more crisp than just piping icing there are only a few different options.  I tried one of them today, it was my first time ever working with this type of product and making it myself.  I am proud and excited to announce that it was a success!

Marshmallow Fondant
Ingredients
marshmallows, small or big doesn't matter
icing sugar
water
food coloring, optional
flavoring oil, optional
  

Directions:
1)  Take a couple of handfuls of marshmallows and place them in a microwavable bowl.  Add a couple drops of water and toss until they're damp.  *if making more than one color use the whole bag*
 

2)  If using flavor oil, add in now and use less water.  Place the marshmallows in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until they're puffed up and easily stir into goo with a wooden spoon.  *I sprayed my spoon with cooking spray to help the marshmallows from sticking*

 
 

3)  Add the food coloring to the melted marshmallows until you get the color you want.  Remember you're going to be adding icing sugar which will lighten the color, so make sure it's a bit brighter than needed. *I opted out for this batch as it was a test, and I may also need white ;)*

4)  Start folding icing sugar into the marshmallows until it becomes a soft and fluffy dough *I added heaping spoonfuls at a time*.  Dust hands and counter top with icing sugar, turn mixture out on the counter and sprinkle with icing sugar.
 

5)  Continue to kneed until stiff enough to roll out.  Dust rolling pin with icing sugar and roll the dough until you reach your desired thickness.  Cut is a sharp knife into desired shapes.
 

 

Sorry but I can't show you what shape I created today as it is a surprise, but any Star Wars fanatic will probably know based on the scored markings ;)  This is very sticky to work with until you reach the perfect consistency and then it is just like regular dough.  It's very tasty, like a sweet dense marshmallow and I look forward to seeing the kids at the party devour them :)

I'm thinking tomorrow about making something less on the dessert side, maybe muffins??  I bought some lovely apples and pears which has been filling my head with all sorts of ideas, I might even whip up a batch of my spicy pear muffins as they're oh so good!  Oh before I forget :p, yesterday I told you that I bought some new bakers treats and I would share them with y'all today, and I am true to my word;
 

 
isn't it pretty :)

I got it for half price (score!!), and it's compact and durable which will help with taking it to and from clients locations.  The shelves are also slightly tilted outward so displaying beautiful treats is even easier, eek I can't wait to use it!!  I know I'm a baking nerd who loves kitchen stuff, but I love getting new gear to make my passion even more of a breeze.  Until next time..........


Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxoxo


 

No comments:

Post a Comment