Friday, September 20, 2013

Stick a Fork in Me, I'm Done!

Hello Sweets,

Well I am still very upset and mad at myself :(, but the show must go on right?  I'm really trying to keep myself busy and not think about the colossal mess I've made, unfortunately there are so many things that remind me of him it's kind of hard.  However I figured I wouldn't bum y'all out today with another sad post, instead I am going to write about food something I don't screw up often :s

I just realized that my previous statement is going to be harder to stay true too :(  Why you ask, because this entire meal was made while in Texas and we made it together.  Maybe I can use this little post as a happy memory that will sort of pick my mood up, this is me trying to be hopeful :/  I wrote a post very similar to this earlier in the year (food wise that is), but we chose to do things a little differently this time :)  For me the pressure was really on this time around, you see we were cooking for his entire family and I wanted everything to go perfectly.  I don't know why but I always seem to put pressure on myself in these situations, but I think it works..sometimes lol like this time.  Having a family judge your cooking skills is both stressful and a learning process, I just hoped they would enjoy what they were about to eat.  Thankfully they enjoyed every part of the meal, even Nathan's dad enjoyed my yorkies!  For the record, I knew he would but he still protested lol.

Nathan and Jennifer's Collaborative Roast
Ingredients
Roast, either chuck or rump
red wine
Worcestershire sauce
garlic
garlic powder
meat tenderizer
salt
pepper
seasoning salt
 

Directions:
1)  Tenderize and season your meat to your preference, then place in a gallon zip lock bag and add enough wine and Worcestershire sauce that the roast becomes submerged.  Remember to balance the wine and Worcestershire sauce, I can't give you measurements but you should be able to tell by the smell.  Refrigerate overnight.
 

 

2)  Preheat oven to 375F.  Cut up your carrots, onions, and potatoes (anything else you want to throw in there too!).  Place in the bottom of your roasting pan, surrounding the roast.  Pour your marinade over top of the roast and veggies, add more garlic to the top of the roast.
 

 

 

3)  Cook for about 2 hours (depending on the size of your roast), checking after 1 hour to ensure the veggies aren't drying out.  If they're sort of dry add either beef broth or a dissolved bullion cube.
 

Some people like to cook their vegetables separately, but when you cook them in the roasting pan they soak up the marinade and don't need to be seasoned after :)  This was the dinner that accompanied the super yummy Cherry Dr. Pepper Cupcakes, see;
 

All the work was worth it, not just because Nathans family enjoyed it but because he did and he is a big reason I want to cook from scratch.  He's also the only person that's ever encouraged me to pursue my dreams of Canuckette's Creations as a business.  I'm making cupcakes for a party my mother is throwing tomorrow, and the box that will be carrying them will be adorned with my little logo.  It's a big step and actually kind of scary, but if I'm going to do this I need to be willing to put myself out there.  Maybe he'll read this post, if he does I want him to know how thankful I am for the encouragement and I hope it makes him proud.

Speaking of which I need to get back to the kitchen, I need to crank out two icings tonight and then decorate them too!  Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed that I do okay tomorrow.  Until next time.............



Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment