Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Little Chicken

Hello Sweets,

Well it's official, Canuckette's Creations has booked it's first order!  I would be lying if I said that I wasn't nervous lol, but it's a big step which mean I can only go up :)  For the last 36 hours I have been creating a website (still in progress), and working on a price list so I can price jobs appropriately.  I know this all seems daunting right now, but it once I get this stuff done I'll be sitting pretty ;)

Today I thought I would do a post regarding how I'm seeing myself, like a scared little chicken lol!  I love roasted chicken, and I will be the first to admit that I've bought the pre made kind at the deli counter *slinks away*.  Last week I was craving chicken, a lot, and as I walked by the deli counter I thought to myself "I can do that myself, and better!".  It is more expensive to buy a whole chicken and make it myself compared to the pre made, but you don't know what goes into it (sodium mainly) and you'll never know how to make one on your own.  So I bought a whole chicken, did a little research and
gave it the good ol' college try.  I went into this feeling pretty confident, and kept a positive attitude.  I set out to make a flavorful and moist chicken, something that is harder to achieve than you'd think.  Thankfully I have nothing but positive news to report, and if you follow these simple steps your kitchen will smell just as divine as mine did!

Canuckette's Roasted Chicken
Ingredients
1 whole chicken
carrots, chopped (not pictured)
potatoes, chopped (not pictured)
2tbs butter
garlic
red pepper flakes
chili powder
coriander
rosemary
olive oil
salt
pepper
 

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 425F.  Wash chicken, then dry it very well with paper towels both inside and out.
 

2)  Salt and pepper the cavity of the chicken, then truss (tie the legs/wings together) the chicken.  This is to prevent your chicken from drying out, however I did not do this and mine turned out fine :)  Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then rub all over with the butter.
 

3)  Then season the chicken as you would like.  Place the seasoned chicken in a roasting pan and surround with the carrots and potatoes.  I drizzled a very small amount of olive oil onto the veggies but not too much as the chicken fat will do most of the work.
 

4)  Place the chicken in the preheated oven and bake for 60mins.  Check after one hour, if the legs and wings move easily it is complete.  If it's not done check every ten minutes so you don't over cook and dry it out.
 

5)  Remove the chicken from the oven and set on a cutting board (with grooved edges so the juices don't spill), allowing to sit for 10 minutes before cutting.
 

I don't think I'll ever buy a pre made chicken again, this was so moist and juicy and it still was when I had leftovers.  I made my chicken a little spicy because that is my preference, but you can use any spices that you like and make it your own :)  Since I seasoned the chicken so well I didn't need to season the veggies, they absorb the flavors of the chicken and taste AMAZING!

Well this post was a lovely little break for me, I was getting ridiculously stressed about the website and needed a much needed break.  Now that I feel recharged I'm going dive right back into my new little world.  If you're on Facebook feel free to stop by my business page to say hello, follow, or peruse the pictures and maybe even place an order ;)  I also just wanted to take a moment to say a big "THANK YOU" to all of y'all.  Without my faithful readers I don't know if I would have put myself out there, or ever!  Until next time......


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment