Friday, February 8, 2013

In Grandma's Kitchen

Hello Sweets,

(This was supposed to be posted Monday evening, but health stopped that, so there will be multiple posts on one day to catch up with what I've done :p )  Did you have a manic Monday?  Mine although not busy felt manic, and I think that was largely because of my wonky sleep schedule.  I didn't sleep on Saturday night and tried very hard to stay awake, to the point that my roommate was worried about me using a stove lol, but then around 2 o'clock I knew I had to have a nap and then I didn't wake up until midnight.  When Nathan heard this that night he thought for sure I would not be getting back to sleep, but thankfully my eyes got tired around 2am and I snoozed off and on until the morning.  I am hoping the tonight my body gets back to normal, or as close as possible because clearly the schedule I am on is not healthy :(

As I told you all a few days ago I am going to be making my wonderful grandparents dinner every few nights, and tonight was the first time!  They choose chicken to be the protein and left the rest up to me, which had me thinking all weekend about what I wanted to create for them.  One of the first ways I learned to cook chicken was with vegetables and mushroom soup in a casserole dish, so that is what I decided to do something simple and delicious (starting to think that is my signature).  I knew what they had in regards to rice and some veggies but I wanted some green veggies in there as well, and on Sunday I picked up a head of fresh broccoli and knew it would make a perfect addition.  So this recipe is one that is very versatile, you can add or change the veggies  and soup, and serve with rice, potatoes, or even a salad.

Canuckette's Tasty Chicken
Ingredients
2 chicken breasts
1 can mushroom soup
garlic powder, to taste
roasted red peppers, to taste
broccoli, handful
red and yellow peppers, handful
2Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2C rice, made as directed (2Tbs butter and pinch of salt)
1/4-1/2C milk
milk not pictured, oops!

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 400F.  Season the chicken to your preferences, preheat a skillet with the olive oil in it.  Brown the chicken on each side, do not cook thoroughly, this will make your chicken flavorful and juicy.
 
2)  Line the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish with your veggies (fresh or frozen works), and place the chicken on top.  Mix the milk and mushroom soup in a bowl, and pour over the chicken.

3)  Place in preheated oven, uncovered for about 40 minutes (until the chicken is fully cooked with no pink in the center).  Plate on top of a bed of rice and enjoy!



I am glad to say that the grandparents enjoyed the dinner very much, so much that they both had cleaned plates at the end :)  As a loving granddaughter I'm happy to give something back to them, of course it never feels like enough but a smile goes a long way.

Tomorrows post I'm going to share a recipe of my grandmothers with you, but you'll have to come back to see what this delicious healthy and tasty treat with a twist of my own of course ;)  Later this week I'll make my grandparents dinner again and that will be a dinner post too!  Until next time.....................


Stay sweet,


Jennifer xoxoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment