Saturday, February 9, 2013

Damsals and Dragons

Hello Sweets,

Do you find yourself day dreaming?  Perhaps of another life or world, like the ones we read about in our childhood story books.  As a child I read, a lot lol, and there were a few that I always loved; first one is a classic book that takes place in "normal" times "Love you forever"  by Robert Munsch, the second one is also a classic (although the movie didn't do it justice) that takes place in the imagination of a child "Where the wild things are" by Maurice Sendak, and the classics for any age "The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis.  When you read a book your mind gets taken away to which ever land the story is set in, perhaps you envisioned yourself as one of the characters, or maybe you were just along for the ride.  Either way it's always nice, even if just for a moment, to imagine another life in another time.

Which brings me to today's post, one of my favorite Disney movies is Sleeping Beauty :)  A young princess under a spell after meeting the man of her dreams and a young prince who is determine to rescue her, even if that means he has to fight a dragon to get to her.  What a great man right?  Kind of reminds me of Nathan, of course there were no dragons, however if one did stand in our way I know he would fight to be with me.  So what does this have to do with creating in the kitchen?  Nothing really lol (made a nice story though), but the main ingredient in today's post is Dragon fruit and I feel it is unique as some of the stories we read.  Despite its prickly outside (it's in the cactus family), it has a mildly sweet inside that is a cross between a kiwi (for the black seeds) and a pear lol.
When they went on sale at my local grocery store I decided to pick one up (I've been wanting to try them anyways), and when I brought it home I was perplexed as to what I was going to do with it.  Then I started feeling awful (surprise surprise) which made the light bulb in my head go off, smoothie time!  This is what I had leftover in my fridge and what is came out as :)

Dragon Smoothies
(no dragons were harmed in the making, lol had to do it)
Ingredients
1 dragon fruit, cubed
1/2 lemon, cut into small pieces
1C Greek yogurt (you can use regular as well)
Ice

Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients into a blender.

 2)  Blend until smooth, and enjoy.

It's a mildly sweet smoothie that has a slight tartness to it, that is high in fiber and the good fats :)  It was way too much for me to have at once :( but it kept well in the fridge for a few days.  Now I want to figure out a one of a kind dessert recipe that has dragon fruit in it, because I couldn't find one.

So tomorrows post is going to be different and new, but in a good way ;)  I'm still creating in the kitchen but probably not like anyone can guess, although I do encourage trying to!  Until next time...........................


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment