Saturday, January 12, 2013

Pecan I Have Some Pie?

Hello Sweets,

It's the weekend, which is usually is a good thing but sadly I left Texas last night and headed back to Canadia, which meant I had to leave Nathan :(  You would think I would be used to it, but alas no, so I was sad but I'll see him again before I know it!

Since I am left last night I took Thursday night to make Nathan a meal I knew he would love, spaghetti with garlic bread from scratch.  Of course this made him smile (as I knew it would) lol but I also had a second treat for him, a bourbon pecan pie!  Needless to say I was a little worried because pies are not my forte, but I love a kitchen challenge :)  I made the crust from scratch as well but chose not use it as I felt it did not come together as it should have, but none the less I am including the recipe with my pictures.  Let us get to the goods shall we?

Bourbon Pecan Pie
Ingredients
(Perfect pie crust-9")
1/2C flour
1 Tsp salt
1 stick butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
6Tbs vegetable shortening, chilled
ice water
(filling)
 4Tbs butter
1 1/2C pecans, toasted
3/4C pecans, coarsely chopped
1C dark brown sugar, packed
1/2C dark corn syrup
3 eggs, beaten
3Tbs bourbon or whiskey
1/2Tsp salt



Directions:
Perfect Pie Crust
1)  In a large bowl, toss together the flour and salt.

2)  Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in the butter and shortening until most of it is the size of peas (this is where I went wrong it should be crumbly).

3)  Drizzle 1/2C ice water on top (small amounts at a time) and stir with a fork.  Stir in more ice water 1Tbs at a time until the dough is slightly moist but not wet. )Test by pinching some of the dough together; if it doesn't hold together, add more water)

4)  Gather the dough into a ball, then divide in half, forming each piece into a disk.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.  Let the chilled dough sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before rolling out.

5)  On a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll out each disk of dough, as needed, into a 12"-13" round, working from the center out and away from you, dusting lightly with flour and rotating the dough as needed to keep the circle even.  Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350F.  Unroll the pie crust into a 9" pie pan; crimp the edge and refrigerate until ready to fill.

Filling
6)  In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.

7)  Remove from heat and whisk in the pecans, brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, bourbon, and salt.

8)  Pour the filling into the prepared crust.

8)  Bake the pie until just set (twist the pie, center will jiggle outside will not), about 45 minutes.  Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Yummy!!

Needless to say another successful venture in the kitchen!  I should note that if you don't allow the pie filling to fully cool (gel) there is a stronger alcohol taste lol which obviously we didn't wait long enough or I wouldn't have known that lol.

I want to take a moment to apologize for my sporadic posts, my health has been a bit of a road block for me in the last few weeks with more bad days than one would want.  I am going to try my hardest to get back to the almost daily posts :)  I already know what I am blogging about tomorrow so you can bet there will be a post for all of you tomorrow!  Until next time...............


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment