Saturday, January 26, 2013

Canuckette's 5 Alarm Chili

Hello Sweets,

This had to be one of the worst weeks I've had in a while :(, my vertigo decided it would see how I liked going back to a childhood memory (spinning on teacups at Disney World, not fun!).  So of course I spent most of the week laying in the dark because my migraines we also especially painful, and then to top it off I felt so sick I couldn't even eat my comfort food O_O.  All in all it wasn't a good week to be in the kitchen creating, mostly because I couldn't even make it to the kitchen lol, but I still have a couple recipes hidden away, plus I think I am going to try something new in the next couple of days.  But for today I am going to pull one out of my stash, because the little I have done today has already proven to be too much :(

So the new recipe I'll be trying in a couple of days will compliment this dish perfectly, that should give y'all something to think about after reading today's post.  As you know my last post was about making my very own chili powder, which was inspired by this very dish that I came across on Hillbilly Housewife's website.  Clearly I am talking about chili lol, and I made my own personal tweaks to the recipe to make it more my own but my inspiration really came from Nathans dad, who made me chili a week or so before I left.  As you all know I am always homesick within days (if not the day) of coming home and to make matters worse I left a little dusting of snow for lots of snow and 18 degree (Fahrenheit), talk about a double downer.  The beauty of this recipe is that (besides the beans) everything is cooked in one pot, that equals less dishes and a happy girl lol.  I bet you're all wondering what makes me think I made a 5 alarm chili, well the original recipe only calls for a tablespoon of chili powder and mine has a whole heck of a lot more (to be accurate the entire amount I made lol oops).  So please heed caution and make it to the heat degree you're comfortable with, now let's get to the yummy goodness shall we?

Canuckette's 5 Alarm Chili (inspired by Hillbilly Housewife) 
Ingredients
1.5lbs ground beef (I use extra lean)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1 large can of tomatoes
1 (tiny) can of tomato paste
3 1/2C cooked beans, pinto or kidney (I used a combination of 3 and eyed the measurements, she also has great instructions to cook the beans if using fresh like me)
1Tbs chili powder (I use A LOT more, but I like spicy things)
 1/4Tsp black pepper, coarse
pinch of salt
1Tbs parsley (if desired)
 

Directions:
1)  In a large pot (at least 4qts), brown the ground beef and soften the chopped onions over medium.  Break the meat into smaller pieces as it cooks, once there is absolutely no pink left in the meat drain off the fat and return to burner.
 

2)  Add the canned tomatoes and tomato paste, add an additional 2-3 cups of water for simmering.
 

3)  Add the cooked beans, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and parsley.  Stir and bring to a boil.
 

4)  Reduce the heat to a simmer, and allow it to cook (covered or not) for about 1 hour and then enjoy!
 nom nom nom :)

I divided up the chili into multiple containers so I could freeze and pull out as needed (I'm only one little girl after all), but you can eat it straight away as a family meal or even bring it to a pot luck (I would turn the spiciness down considerably).  I have a couple of ways I love to eat chili, the traditional way with a little bit of cheese on top, with either cornbread or toast, and (this is going to sound weird) over top of french fries lol.  You can also enjoy it own its own, over rice, or with some crackers as well, but really the possibilities are endless.  Chili is the type of food to warm you from the inside and it's super healthy with all the fiber and protein.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do (and still am), it is the perfect food for chilly Canadian winters (or any winter for that matter).   Now I am very confident that most of my readers (if not all) will know what I am making as the final recipe for the three part chili series, but on the off chance you don't, I'm keeping it as a surprise so you'll come back again tomorrow!  Until next time...................


Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxo

  






No comments:

Post a Comment