Friday, December 14, 2012

Reindeer In the Kitchen?!?!

Hello Sweets,

I hope everyone is having a fantastic week, today we celebrated Nathan's dad's birthday, he turned the big 58 today and of course we celebrated with cake.  No I did not make the cake this time, Dora (granny) makes his favorite cake, Easter cake, although I don't know why they call it Easter cake because it tastes like vanilla cake with brown sugar  (either way it's tasty).  I'm sure one day soon Dora will pass the recipe down to me, and then I will have to make it for him each year lol.  Everyone wish the captain a happy birthday ;)
The birthday boy, and the cake maker herself!

So I bet you're thinking my post today is going to be about the famous Easter cake, well WRONG, lol I actually did what I've been talking about!  Yup that's right, I'm making a Christmas cookie tonight, although not a traditional recipe, a twist on one ;)  Are you dying to know what the recipe is?  Chocolate sugar cookies, yes you read that right, chocolate, which is perfect for making reindeer!!!  Lol I know I am super adorable aren't I?  Well I can only make 6 reindeer, so the rest I've decided to make into Christmas ornaments (the shiny ball type).  I have never made a chocolate sugar cookie, but I am very excited for them.  So let us get to the cookie recipe shall we?

Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Ingredients
3OZ unsweetened chocolate
1C butter
1C granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 Tsp vanilla extract
2C all-purpose flour
1 Tsp baking soda
1/4Tsp salt
additional sugar (to roll the cookies in)

Directions:
1)  Microwave the  chocolate and butter in a large microwavable bowl on high for 2 minutes or until the butter is melted.  Stir until chocolate is completely melted.

2)  Stir granulated sugar into melted chocolate mixture until well blended.  Stir in egg and vanilla until completely blended.
 

3)  Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt.  Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
 

4)  Heat oven to 375F.  Shape dough into 1" balls; roll in additional sugar.  (I pressed them slightly flat to achieve the ornamental look)
 
I lost a few in the battle :( but it can happen

Now while the cookies are cooling let's move on to the icing!

Royal Icing via Alton Brown Food Network
Ingredients
3 ounces pasteurized egg whites
1 Tsp vanilla extract
4C confectioners (powdered) sugar (I only used 3 1/4C)

Directions:
1)  In a large bowl of a stand alone mixer (or hand mixer works too!) combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy.
really need to do my nails lol

2)  Add confectioner's sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny.  Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks.  This should take about 5-7 minutes.  Add food coloring if desired.  Can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.
 
The chocolate icing is from Michael's craft store and so are the cute reindeer decor (reindeer color ;) )

And drum roll please for the final product...............
How cute are these!!

So there you have it, Nathan and I's first batch of Christmas ornaments and reindeer.  I don't know if you can see, but one of the "ornaments" was broken by a rambunctious reindeer lol, I know, I know, I'm a nerd but I wanted to make the most out of the broken cookie!  Now I did lose three of the cookies (so sad, they will be remembered lol), and I'm not sure what happened to them but the next batch won't be chocolate so I will be able to watch them closer.  Now I will probably make these chocolate ones again in the coming week, so I will try to focus that post on the decorative :)
Now as I have said in previous posts, I'm not perfect at the decorating (yet as Nathan would say, God I love him) but practice makes perfect right?  And we all know I have a LOT more baking in the next few weeks, and I am confident about my creativity.  Even if they're not perfect I will still be proud of my creations, after all they are mine ;)  Until next time.........
Stay sweet,

Jennifer xoxoxo 





No comments:

Post a Comment