Sunday, December 23, 2012

Come On Shortround!

Hello Sweets,

Only 3 more days until jolly old St.Nick is here :)  Have you finished all of your Christmas baking yet?  I hope that everyone has finished their shopping because I am sure the malls are CRAZY right now, lol.  Can you tell I've finished already?

So since the world didn't end (although now they're saying the 23rd, jeeze lol), as promised, I have a new Christmas baked good recipe!  One of my favorite Christmas cookies is of traditional Scottish or English descent.  Have you guessed which cookie it is yet?  Well if you guessed shortbread, you've won a new recipe lol.  Actually, everyone wins the recipe because it's just too good to not share with the world :p  Now I have this one, a traditional shortbread, and tomorrow I have a twist on the original (I wouldn't be Canuckette if I only had one).  Let us get to the goods, come on Shortround (see what I did there)!!!

Scottish Shortbread (via All Recipes website)
Ingredients
1C butter, room temperature
2C all-purpose flour
1/2C powdered sugar
1/4Tsp salt

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 350F, placing the racks in the first and third section of the oven.

2)  In a large mixing bowl; cream together butter and sugar.

3)  Slowly add the flour and salt, mixing well.
 

4)  Roll dough out with a rolling pin until it is 1/4" thick (sorry forgot to take a pic of the 1/4" dough).  

 5)  Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.  Place on cookie sheet and prick with fork.

6)  Bake for 5-8 minutes, or until sides are a light golden brown.  Let cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack.
Yummy final product!

These cookies embody everything that makes a shortbread cookie, the buttery flavor, the subtle sugar, and the crisp outer edges and the soft middles.  Nathan is, again, a very very happy cookie tester, and I have almost completed the cookie tins that I am going to give to Nathans family.  I haven't baked this many Christmas cookies, ever.  I baked a whole whack before with my mom, but not this many different recipes.   I have however enjoyed it immensely, and even though I have gotten frustrated a few times, it really has cemented my passion for the kitchen.

Now don't forget to come back tomorrow and get not one, but two new recipes!  You already know that one will be a twist on the traditional shortbread, but the other will remain a secret until tomorrow to entice you back  for another awesome post lol.  Until next time...........

Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment