Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Breakfast Treat and Some Christmas Presents!

Hello Sweets,

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend, and that you are ready to ring in 2013!  Do any of you have special plans for New Years eve?  Nathan and I are opting for a romantic night for two in Fort Worth, maybe a candlelight dinner, some dancing, and of course champagne :)  I can't wait.  It will be a nice change from the crowded bar or dance, not to mention super romantic.

So today I thought I would change it up a little bit and do something a little different.  I'm not going as crazy as to not have a recipe included (that would be insane lol), but I am also going to do a product review on some new kitchen toys that I received at Christmas from Nathan's family that I used in the recipe I'm about to share with you :)  I am probably one of only a few women that is okay with kitchen products or appliances as a gift and not be upset about it, actually I'm usually ecstatic :)

As you all know, Nathan gave me a Kenmore Elite Mixer (details) that is AMAZING (not to mention great for my shoulders, he's the bestest), so I wanted to make something that really needed to be mixed.  Then it was like a light went off in my head, dough needs to not only be mixed but kneaded as well which is usually really hard on me, but not anymore!  So it was time for my cinnamon buns to make their debut once again. Since I was making dough I also got to use my new Betty Crocker non-stick rolling pin (details), and my Weston non-stick baking mat (details).   The mixer is phenomenal.  It came with 3 different attachments; 2 bowls (5 and 6 qt), it has a light to make it easier to see, it has a lift feature so you don't have to tip the bowl to get it out, has a timer that automatically stops after the time you set (super helpful for dough).  It is very powerful (I have yet to go past 3), and it is chrome so it goes nicely with everything.  The baking mat has a lot of great features besides the fact that it is non-stick, it can withstand both extreme cold and heat, it's microwave safe, and it has measurements on it for precision.  The rolling pin of course is non-stick, but it is also slightly longer than a traditional wooden rolling pin which helps simplify the production of any dough.  So my product review is this; I love all of these products and would recommend them to anyone who likes to bake or cook :)

 Isn't she pretty :)
 These work fantastic, even more so together!

 Okay enough of my Christmas goodies, lets get to the cinnamon rolls!!

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients
(Dough)
1 pk of yeast
1 Tbs sugar
6C flour
2Tsp salt
1 1/2C luke warm water
1/2C milk
Inside
2Tbs butter, melted
2/3C brown sugar, dark
1/2C pecans, chopped
1 Tsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Icing
4Tbs butter, softened
3oz cream cheese
1 1/2C powdered sugar
1/2Tsp vanilla extract
1/8Tsp salt
  

Directions:
(Dough)
1)  Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2C of water, let stand for 5-10 minutes (it should double in size).
 

2)  Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl making a depression in the center.
 

3)  Combine milk, remaining water, and dissolved yeast and pour into depression.  Begin mixing flour with liquid making sure all the batter on side of the bowl is worked into dough.
 

4)  Knead until a smooth dough results and the sides of the bowl are clean.  Occasionally dip hands in water (I added small amounts in the mixer when it was dry) while kneading to give a smooth elastic finish.  Cover with towel and let rise in warm place for 2-4 hours.
look at the beautiful dough hook

Inside
1)  Roll dough into a rectangle about 18"x16".
 

2)  Brush with melted butter.  Combine sugar, cinnamon, and pecans and sprinkle over dough.
 

3)  Starting at the long end; roll dough tight as possible.  Moisten edges to seal, cut into approximately 20 pieces.  Place rolls cut side down into two lightly buttered round cake pans (rectangle works too!).  Let rise 1 1/2 hours until they double in size.
  

 4)  Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 25 minutes.

Icing
1)  Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well blended.

2)  Frost cinnamon rolls with icing while rolls are still in the baking pan and enjoy!

These cinnamon rolls are to die for, and they are great for a family breakfast (I served Nathan his with a bowl of fresh fruit).  Plus, they're not too difficult to make.  This was actually my first experience activating yeast when I made them the first time and I can say I was impressed with myself :)

Well I am going to be honest with you, I may not have a post tomorrow night because of the celebrations, but I may try to write it during the day before we leave for our romantic evening.  If I don't post tomorrow I want to wish you all a very happy new years and hope you start your year off in a positive light.  Spend it with the ones you care most about :)  Also, thank you for all your support in my first year of blogging, I am looking forward to my first full year in 2013!  Until next time.........


Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxo






   

















No comments:

Post a Comment